Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Introduction/Perception vs. Reality -- eJournaling Assignment

Repost from 9/2/16

Introduction:  


After years of seeing neglect, it seems appropriate to finally put paper to pen (maybe it would be better to say, "Fingers to keys") when an eJournaling assignment is given.  It feels weird coming back after all this time and not spending the time on my poor book blog.  In addition, it is weird to be starting on the endless cycle of homework once again.  That being said, I suppose I shall launch into this weekly assignment while the respite of a three day weekend is staring me straight in the face.


  • Name:  My name is Brie (aka Sinn)
  • Career Goals:  After working in education in one form or the other for the past four years, my career goals include contributing to the education of others.  I feel that this can be accomplished by furthering my own education and achieving a teaching certificate in English secondary education with a possible history endorsement, as well as pursuing a master’s degree in education once that is finished.  I desire to follow in my grandfather’s and father’s footsteps as educators and have a positive impact on our children. 
  • Main Ideas From Course:  This will be an ongoing learning experience, therefore, this list will change and grow as time goes on.  My hope is that it will help me learn ways to incorporate technology into the classroom in order to assist my future students ability to learn.


Class Thoughts:    


Nearing the end of class, there was some minor discussion on perception being reality.  I first heard "perception is reality" on afternoon TV. It was one of those afternoons when you're home sick and the lassitude of the endless cycles of colds has numbed your brain to a gray mush.  Dr. Phil, for the countless time, told some dullard parent that "perception is reality."  Of all the things that he said on that show, this one has stuck with me throughout the years.  However, it never became more clear to me than when I started working with children.

It is hard to go into any detail without revealing more information than you're allowed as an educator.  That being said, teaching preschool and working as a paraprofessional, it has become frighteningly apparent that perception truly is reality.  It doesn't matter how many people saw the event, all that matters is how the child saw it, how they felt, and so on.  And, at some level, I think that might be the biggest problem we have as teachers (or future teachers): trying to address "reality" while still knowing truth.  

There were may more interesting things in the lecture, but this was caught my attention.  It was easy to see it reflected in my everyday life.  Many more deep thoughts can be put into this, but, after helping explain rounding to a third grader, my brain is much too tired to even try.


Sinn

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
sinn
"If you’re a freak like me, Wave your flag! If you’re a freak like me, Get off your ass! It’s our time now, To let it all hang out!" I am a recovering English major, closet bibliophile, breve addicted, zombie lover with a rockabilly and heavy metal fetish.
View my complete profile

Followers